Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Generation

So there is a new show on this year called My Generation. It is the story of a bunch of people ten years out of high school. It is shot documentary style but they are fictional characters. I think it is interesting because there is so much that has happened in the last ten years in our country and there are so many directions people go after high school. I suppose I like it because I am partial to nostalgia and retrospection. I like to think about my own like and where I've been since throwing that square hat in the air some 7 years ago now. But the reason I say all that is because the choices we all make really do determine the value of our lives in this life and the next...

I decided to go into social work because it was one of the few professions I felt I could do some good in other's lives and be a christian at the same time given the talents God has given me. I could have walked down many roads and I can't help but watch a show like that and wonder if my life would count for anything had I made the wrong choices. Would I be stuck in some dead end job not using my gifts, would I spend my weekends at some bar instead of pouring into kids at church or would I be in a relationship that wasn't glorifying to God instead of married to my wife.

I suppose I say all this to say how important it is to take a look at one's life to make sure it means something more than "The American Dream" more than just getting ahead. I'm not their yet but I'm happy to say I am where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment